Virtual Dance Lessons: Why They Work So Well

When the stay at home order was first put into place due to COVID in March and I started toying with the idea of virtual dance lessons, I'll be honest - I was super skeptical. I've been teaching dance for almost 20 years now and the thought of teaching it digitally, without being able to see and move with my students face to face perplexed me. I just couldn't see how it would work. I was worried that some things wouldn't translate on video and I was unsure if I could explain partner moves to my students without showing them in person with a partner of my own.

So as I geared up for my first virtual lesson I kept in mind that it might be a catastrophe. And that I might completely embarrass myself in front of my new clients and I might regret even trying. But as we connected via Skype, said hello and started our lesson, I was first surprised at how real the meeting felt. Even though we were meeting each other digitally, it felt like we had met in person! And as the lesson unfolded I realized that even the steps I thought would be challenging or close to impossible to teach verbally actually translated quite easily. The client was also so thrilled by her first digital "father/daughter" dance lesson that she decided to tack on another dance and start virtual "first dance" lessons with her fiance too! So the stoke factor was big for all parties involved. I've already had at least 6 remote lessons with that first client and I always look forward to them. Here's why virtual lessons are so awesome:

-Convenience: You don't have to leave your own home. You don't have to drive anywhere - heck - you don't even have to change out of your pajamas if you don't want to! Save money on gas and time.

-Flexibility: You can do virtual lessons from anywhere! During your business trip in Boston, on vacation in Mexico, in your back yard, while you wait in line at the DMV...(ok, maybe that's taking it a BIT too far...but you know how long the DMV lines are. Wouldn't that be nice?!)

-You Save Money:We're offering our virtual lessons at a reduced cost to customers for the time being, which people tend to like.

-Tutorials: In addition to teaching you live via video chat, we send additional video tutorials so you have a break down of more complicated moves and steps that you can watch and practice over and over again at home.

-End of lesson recording: At the end of your lesson we have you record your last run through at home while we talk you through the steps via video. That way you have a way to jog your memory if you forget some choreography the next day.

-You Feel Productive: With a lot of uncertainty hanging over the next few months a lot of wedding couples feel stalled out on wedding planning, paralyzed and frozen until they know for "sure" they can schedule a venue or actually have out of state guests at their wedding. Virtual dance lessons can start now - and even if you get married two years from now, that's totally ok! The more you practice, the better your dance will be. And it's great exercise too. Win-win-win.

-Stress relief and bonding: We've heard time and time again from wedding couples during in person lessons about how wonderful dance lessons were for their relationship. A time to focus on each other and forget the stress of wedding planning. Virtual lessons are no different, and in fact I think that stress relief and distraction during this time of COVID is needed more than ever!

So if dance lessons online sound impossibly hard or weird to you, please be reassured. They're surprisingly wonderful! And heck, if you're hesitant to try them and you mention this blog post we'll even give you your first lesson for free. FREE! What have you got to lose? Try it out on us - we truly believe you'll enjoy them as much as we do.

Comments

Popular Posts